Sunday, April 24, 2011

Weird RTN and little clams

Oh jeez, its been awhile hasn't it?  Since I last posted, the weird tissue scraping issue on those couple of corals I posted last month has come to a halt. They haven't healed up but they haven't progressed either.  This makes me happy as one of them was my prized red planet.

I lost a purple polyped pink birdsnest to a spontaneous goo event. I dunno, STN I guess but not just the typical "quick" loss of tissue that is usually STN for me. The tissues just turned to jelly and disintegrated from the tips down the length of the coral to the base, or vice versa.  This is the same thing that my S. calendrium did last year. I did manage to save a couple of pieces, one was dead the next morning and the second took about 5 days and was a goner as well so no frag rescue of that one. Everything else in the tank seems to be okay.

At the end of March I ordered a couple of maxima clams online. They were much smaller than anticipated and my track record with tiny clams is terrible. One is about 2.5 inches and the other just over an inch. I set them up in the wrasses old rubbermaid container.

BTW, the birdsnest next to the container is the one I lost. RIP, pretty thing.

Anyway, this was a big mistake. Within about 2 seconds the wrasse recognized his old sleeping grounds and immediately dived in. It was like watching a dieter and a donut reunite. You could almost hear him going "wheeee!" as he proceeded to empty the container of sand over the following few days. He also flipped the clams out of the container several times. Eventually I gave up on trying to keep them in it and wedged them in between the container and the glass. I also turned off the vortech behind the container to keep the flow down so as not to blow the clams all over the place. This increased the cyano growth in that area...lovely.


The clams are quite lovely. The blue one is pretty similar to the larger blue one I have but we'll see if it is still the same as it gets bigger. I'm totally in love with the black/gold one. The pattern is gorgeous.

Anyway, back to the clam saga.  Well after the container was empty I still needed something to keep the clams coralled. I had to put a rock in the container to keep it weighed down and then put the clams in the container. This didn't last long as one of the fish decided it would be great fun to tote the clams around in his mouth, dropping them off in various locations. I found them in the rockwork, in the ricordea pile and halfway down the tank. Nervous that one would end up under the rockwork I proceeded to put them back in the container...with the rock...and put a tomato bag over the whole thing.  See if you can get in there you little fish bastards! :P


  I turned the vortech back on the low setting just to keep the currents up in that area now that they're in the container. Its growing a fair bit of cyano which is no big surprise. Hopefully the clams grow fast so they don't have to be in there too long.

No comments: