Saturday, December 18, 2010

New Addition

At the end of the month we added a new reefer to the family :)  Cameron Matthew, born November 28th.


Suffice it to say the tank has taken a bit of a hit. I managed to get a chemi-clean treatment in there for the cyano as it was totally getting out of control. The reason: I wasn't rinsing my frozen food. Usually I just rinse the whole batch upon buying it from the store but this time I just threw it in the freezer and broke pieces off as I needed it (I usually do this but at least its rinsed!). So the cyano was blanketing everything.  The tank is looking much better but other than that waterchange for the chemi-clean, I think thats the only thing I've done to it besides feed the fish and dump fresh water into the ATO since my last update.  I've done my yearly MH bulb order so it will be nice to have some new bulbs in there, especially since one of them is ridiculously old after having to replace a dead bulb back in October.

I also lost a clam, one of my croceas. It had a bunch of odd hydroid like polyps growing on the shell, they don't burn corals but the clam was retracting its mantle on the side they were growing heavily on.  This particular clam never really extended its mantle fully especially after it was being nipped by the regal tang earlier in the year but its mantle seemed to be out less and less as time went by. I didn't notice how bad it was getting or have time to do anything about until it was probably too late. I gave the shell a good scrub and the clam seemed to be trying to rebound but then the inevitable morning came when the shell was half empty.

No comments: