Saturday, October 09, 2010

Bye Bye Cyano

I finally got fed up with the rampant cyano in the tank. I was siphoning mid week and then doing 20% waterchanges on the weekend but to no avail, the damned stuff was back in a matter of days.  To hell with that, I chemi-cleaned the tank.  Worked like a charm but 3 days post treatment my skimmer is still overflowing like a mofo.  I hope the extra nutrients o' death don't affect the tank.

I noticed today that my tuxedo urchin isn't faring so well. He's just sitting in a corner and I notice there are a few spines on the tank bottom close by so I would imagine he isn't long for this world. I wish I had known this would happen before I chemi-cleaned the tank, I could have removed him to my nano. I don't remember reading anything about this on the package. Hopefully he pulls through.

I also seem to have a moderately heavy infestation of majano anemones which are clustered on some rocks and singlets on others.  There are quite a few, I'd say aout 50, in the tank and I'm looking at my options for removal. I've already tried the Tailored Aquatics Aiptasia Destroyer which melts them for a few weeks but they then return, and usually with a friend.  I did some reading on Reefcentral and someone has had success melting them with a 4N solution of sodium hydroxide.  Some people have also been making and using "majano zappers" but I suck pretty bad at DIY and haven't found anyone selling them online.

Other than that, things are doing pretty well in the tank. Corals are growing, some are coloring up nicely, others are still kind of boring looking. I'll continue with the ultralith, mostly because I haven't run out of it yet. I have no idea whether its actually doing anything, mostly because my dosing has been sporadic (someone suggested that with all the cyano, I cut back to dosing every 3 days which hasn't gone so well). Now that the cyano is gone, hopefully I can get back to dosing every day which is easier for me as I remember it daily but every 3 days for some reason is waay more difficult ;)

No comments: