Sunday, March 31, 2013

New Fish/Zeovit

So the Bellus went into the tank on the 19th, she had stopped eating for about 3 days and I was getting worried. The 10 day treatment was up anyways but I would have liked to have QT'ed her longer. I never have much luck with QTing fish, I have no idea why, maybe there is some sort of trick to it. Either they die in QT or they croak in the tank a few days later.  One of the reasons why I don't normally QT but the thought of my beloved fish dying of velvet scares the crap out of me so I must prevail and go the QT route. Sadly the newbie did not make friends and my old Bellus did not want either a girlfriend, or the competition from another girl in a tank full of boys (my assumption, there aren't many female fish available in this hobby). So she swam about that evening and the next morning and then I didn't see her until 5 days later when I had pretty much written her off.  She's living under a rock in a corner. She seems to have made friends with the Royal Gramma who lives there and is an old curmudgeon (usually). I guess they made their peace with one another.  I just saw her again tonight (a week later) and she is eating but very pale (I assume from being stuck in the dark all the time).  I would assume from her intense submissiveness  that she isn't going to be the one to change to a male, if indeed the trigger to change is made.  The old beeyotch will be the one to change. Either that or I'll have a very expensive rock dweller :(

The hair algae situation I assume is slowly getting better.  Sometimes I see a new rock that has been cleaned, then other times all I can see is the long wavy lush green algae on every other rock. The tank is definitely looking better but I suppose when there are acres of algae to eat, sea hares do it slowly because its not like it won't be there tomorrow (and the day after that, and the day after that, etc). I actually saw his butt the other day, camped out under a rock. So I know he's still in there (I know the bare patches are evidence as well but sometimes you just like to see the critter actually alive).  I've been in there almost weekly or 10-days-ly yarding out a good liter or so of algae but it gets monotonous after awhile and I don't really know if I'm doing the tank any good as the stuff flies everywhere in the tank. I try to scoop it all up with a fishnet but its a real pain in the arse.

I started up Zeovit again. I wasn't going to, as I don't really want to invest any more money in this hobby (says she who just bought a pricey fish). But I figured what the hell, the tank is already sucking, lets see what Zeo can do for it. I just bought the rocks and the start2 or something like that. I can't remember the names of it all but I'm just doing the basics. And I'm already sucking at it. I hate dosing mostly because I forget constantly and wonder what is the point if I can't even remember to do something basic like that (which reminds me, I should get my arse downstairs and dose).  Anyhoo, we shall see what it does.  Some corals are coloring up already, could it be the Zeo?

Other than that its business as usual, I think I've lost yet another colony. It really paled up and hasn't had polyps out in awhile, I thought it was just cranky but looking closer at it its almost like it didn't get enough light and its now starting to recede. Not sure what its problem is as one of the corals right next to it is coloring up awesomely so I don't think its the bulbs but who knows. 

No comments: