Friday, November 25, 2011

November update

So I stopped dosing potassium and for the most part the tip recession has halted, now of course cyano is settling in on the exposed bits. Another thing I thought it might have been is that I routinely thaw my frozen mysis, rinse it and then refreeze it in a container. When I need to feed, I add some water, swirl it around for a bit and then dump it into the tank, which I have been doing for quite awhile. However, this last month I thawed a whole 16oz package of mysis into the container and then added the water as normal, not thinking of what the giant frozen block of mysis was doing to the water temperature.  I was pretty much pouring that cold water right onto some of the corals.  I suspect this because all the corals that are affected are right near where I dump the food into the tank.  So, I've changed this and I now have cubed my frozen mysis after rinsing and I try to let it thaw over a couple of hours before I dump it into the tank, or I have it run through the return inlet in the sump so it can at least mix there a bit before heading to the main tank. I'm not restarting potassium until everything is ticketyboo again though. It never ceases to amaze me how fast the tank can go to crapola yet how slow it is to return to its former splendor.

My turaki colony has taken a bit of a hit as well. It wasn't in the feeding radius (that I know of, but maybe its just persnickety)but its had a fair bit of recession and cyano is really attacking it. I've fragged a chunk off but its very cyano-ey looking as well and I'm pretty sure I'll end up chucking the whole colony. I may be able to save a very tiny branch and get it going again but I'm not feeling very positive about it.

Other than that there isn't' much new, I've only added a squamosa clam to the tank, its small abut 3" or so, brown with blue spots (which are pretty neat-o). No pics yet, the tank has been pretty neglected and I haven't even bothered to clean the glass, partly out of laziness and partly because the tank seems to do better with dirty glass. I'm not sure if that's really true or if its just that I can't see in to see whats happening so by the time I actually clean it a week or so later everything looks like its grown/colored up etc.  I've started doing that on a regular basis just so I get a bit more jazzed about the tank.  I've become a bit bored with it lately, mostly because I have zero room for frags, not much time to deal with the tank other than fish inspection, feeding and waterchanges and haven't seen any fish that I'm interested in at the LFS/online shops (which I also haven't been to in months). I'm sure it will pass.....eventually.

No comments: