Friday, March 27, 2009

Clams suck...but they're so pretty :(

So in the last few weeks I've lost both of my squamosa clams. I just don't think small clams are destined to be in my tank and I've decided not to get any more of them. Granted, I'll say now, that I have one in calgary that I bought and a friend is holding for me so if at some point in the future I'm all "oh whee new little clam" I didn't purchase it after this point. I actually bought it last month. I know, I need an intervention. What can I say? When you see it, you'll understand.

Anyhoo, now my little maxima is doing the pinchy mantle thing, same thing the crocea did a few months ago. I did do a couple of freshwater dips on it, which I don't really think did any good, at least nothing has changed. For the crocea I ended up doing 20% waterchanges weekly and running carbon in a phosban reactor. I've done this again and have started up the 20% weekly waterchanges starting last weekend.






Suffice it to say, with all the 20% waterchanges and clam issues, I've decided not to continue with zeovit. The colors in my tank were good, but not the eye popping colors that you see on the websites. But my biggest issue with it was that I had nitrates while using it. Anyway, I took the zeo system offline and am currently running carbon and phosban in the reactors. It will be interesting to see what my nitrate levels do.

I'm also tossing around the idea of putting ozone back on the tank, it really helped with coral coloration and water clarity. Thats just something I'm thinking about right now and likely will wait until this clam is either back to normal or dead.

It is also likely that I'll be giving up on my schuran calcium reactor and going to the balling system, or some variation of it. Its super frustrating to not be able to hit my targets for ca, mg and alk. Currently my ca is about 390, alk is 9.6dkH (way high, for zeo anyway) and mg is about 1275. I'm running zeomag in my reactor yet still can't manage to keep the levels up. I'm starting to wonder if maybe my reactor can't keep up or something. Or maybe I'm just inept :P Most likely the latter.

No comments: