Monday, February 09, 2009

So I have no idea what I did but the solenoid issue seems to have resolved itself. I did plug it into a different "block" of outlets on my aquatronica powerbar. Who knows, maybe that was it. I still have to give it a kick every once in awhile but for the most part its working on its own for about 95% of the time. Yay! So my ca, alk and mg are holding fairly steady. I'd like to get my mg up a bit as its hovering around 1250 or so but my alk is pretty high at about 9 dkH so running more co2 through the reactor to melt the zeomag really isn't an option at this point. Maybe I'll just put more zeomag in and see what happens.

So one of my crocea clams has had some issues for the past 5 days or so. The lower half of its mantle is rather pinchy looking. I had the peeps over at what used to be clamsdirect.com (now reefaquariumforum.com) have a look see and they don't seem to think its the dreaded pinched mantle, just a bit irritated by something. So I hauled him out and gave him a freshwater dip (when I thought it was PM) a good scrub and gave him a bit more room. I hesitate to say that he looks a bit better tonight, it may just be me. This is the "before" photo, lights are out now I'll try to get another pic tomorrow :)




However, before I posted there, I looked around in the forums and then did something which may have not been very smart. I treated the tank with erythromycin. Someone on there posted that they had fixed up their clam issue with it, and well, I had that horrible run with cyanobacteria so I thought hey why not kill two birds with one stone. Sadly it didn't cure the clam but it certainly banished the cyano back to the hell from whence it came! Sweet!

As for the repercussions, I suppose I'll just have to take a wait and see attitude. My skimmer is still off as it just overflows like nobodys business when I turn it on. I'm running carbon full out in a phosban reactor, I'm sure my zeovit program is shot to hell. Oh well, I suppose we'll just have to wait on that one too. At least I don't have a sandbed, I hear that can be the worst.

No comments: