Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My gold maxima clam died today. I am very sad/upset. I had him for 3 years and man they're damned hard to find at that size. I have no idea whats going on but the tank isn't happy. Colors are still fine but well my pink pocillipora (not the damicornis but the other one) is looking rather peaked and its polyps aren't as extended as they usually are. This tells me something is going on, I just don't know what. I wonder if it was the phosphate destroyer. I have a feeling I overdid it. I didn't really have a ton of phosphate but my test kit isn't sensitive enough to detect it lower than 0.2 and the last time I had it tested it was 0.07. Last week I lost my abalone, he was upside down at the bottom of the tank and unable to suction onto the glass. I've also been finding little brittle stars all over the tank, just sitting there. I hardly ever see them as the wrasse will nab any exposed leg if they stick it out. The stars are still alive just not very responsive.

Anyway, I've stopped using the phosphate destroyer and am feeding the shit out of the tank to try to get the phosphates back up. Everybody gets frozen food every day, yay! I know, it sounds kind of stupid but I was at a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" stage and then I tried to fix it and it broke. I won't use the phosphate destroyer again without a decent test kit. :(

No comments: